Greg Fishman: Jazz Saxophone Etudes
There aren’t many etude books written specifically by a saxophonist for saxophonists that are actually musical, fun to play and highly educational too.
* The Introductory text will help you to get the most out of the etudes, with specific goals for your level, whether you are an intermediate level player, weekend warrior or a pro
* The 12 etudes are based on famous jazz standards such as Take the 'A' Train, Satin Doll, Rhythm Changes, Autumn Leaves, Body and Soul, and Green Dolphin Street, so you're playing real music, not unknown originals
* If you like to write your own tunes, then these etudes are full of excellent examples of real ‘jazz language’, with strong voice-leading, powerful sequences and tasteful embellishments that will show you how to create lyrical, flowing lines.
Listen to tune #3 'State Street' and read the first 8 bars on the sheet music below
Separate CDs are included for Bb instruments and Eb instruments. As etudes are written within the normal range of the saxophone, this makes playing the etudes on either instrument a joy. On the CD, the odd numbered tracks have sax plus rhythm section and the even numbered tracks have only the rhythm section, with extra choruses for extended solos.
Suggested uses for the set –
1. Just listening to the play along CD's will help you gain an understanding of good jazz tone and phrasing.
2. You will hear how sound and space are used musically in context.
3. Finally, you can use them for transcribing practice that can be checked against the written etudes.
If you’re looking for excellent examples of well-written jazz and you're an intermediate to pro level player, order a copy now !
Bk/2CDs, 48 pages